Mount Vernon Trail
This paved trail offers breathtaking views of the historic Washington, DC skyline from the Virginia side of the Potomac River.
Beginning at Theodore Roosevelt Island and heading all the way through Old Town Alexandria and beyond, the Mt. Vernon Trail combines spectacular scenery, comfortable terrain and a historic path filled with our nation’s history.
Grab a bike from the Roosevelt Island station and hit the trail to Old Town Alexandria:
- Ride south along the trail with the Potomac River to your left, and enjoy fantastic views of the Lincoln Memorial, Jefferson Memorial and Washington Monument across the river
- Ride around Gravelly Point and watch the planes take off and land at Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport
- Keep right to stay on the trail as you pass the airport*
- Cross the bridge over Four Mile of Run and continue on the trail
- You'll pass the Washington Sailing Marina on your left
- Continue on the trail to meet back up with the Potomac River
- Eventually, the trail will run into Pendleton St in Alexandria
- Turn left and continue onto N Union St
- Continue on Union St until you reach Price St
Dock your bike at the Prince St & Union St station to explore Old Town Alexandria on foot!
At a little over eight miles, this trip takes the average rider about 45 minutes to complete – even longer if you'd like to stop and take in the views. If you exceed your 45-minute time limit, it's only an additional $0.05 per minute after the included ride time ends.
*If you want to break up the ride, you can exit the trail at Crystal City near the airport and take a left on Crystal Drive to dock your bike at the 20th St S & Crystal Dr station. Pick up a new bike when you're ready to resume the ride.
Local tip: This trail is popular with bike commuters on weekday mornings and evenings, so we recommend midday rides.
Photo by Jenn Wurzbacher
- Lynn & 19th St North
- 20th & Crystal Dr
- Prince St & Union St
- Market Square / King St & Royal St